Posted to rec.woodworking
Lowell Holmes Lowell Holmes is offline

Default Delta 12.5'' portable planer

wrote in message
I have one. When I use it with wood that contain lots of resin like white
pine gum accumulates on the surface of the bottom table and rollers. First
I remove the electrical power completely from the planer. Then I use
mineral spirit to clean the table and rollers.
I also apply bees wax on the surface of the bottom steel table to reduce
friction.
This 12.5" planer is not made or design for heavy work. You can only
remove less than a 1/64" in one pass.
Half of 1/64" is even better especially when you working with hard wood
like maple and oak.
If your planer is stored and used in a unheated garage it will accumulate
condensation and dust. Along with wood that has been stored in the same
way you will have friction on your planer table. So when the planer has
been unused for a while I clean and wax its table and check the rollers.
It is not a bad thing to make sure that there is no abrasive matter on the
surface of the wood to be planed.
snip

I do the same thing except I wax the table with Johnson's wax. I also wax
everything in the shop that can rust. The jointer particularly requires wax
for rust protection and the wood feeds through the jointer easier.

I recently installed an Incra miter gage on my cs. It is the $59 one. I
attached a piece of wood to the gage that is 1 1/8" thick x 2 1/2" X 14"
long. After waxing the saw table, it is almost feels like a sliding table.

I don't know why I threw that other stuff in, but I feel like properly waxed
surfaces are a safety device. :-)