Posted to alt.home.repair
Terrorist Killer Terrorist Killer is offline

Default Generac 7550 Generator

On 31 Mar 2007 15:34:25 -0700, "
wrote:

On Mar 31, 2:47?pm, The Fisherman wrote:
I've got a Generac Generator that has no power output. A friend who is
a very good mechanic has looked at it and found that it has no power
output from the plug that comes from the base of the generator. He
measured 5 volts AC from ground to hot in the plug.

Inside the "cap" that fits over the base of the generator, he found a
wire that was burnt in half that goes to a module of some sort. He
said the module has several circuit boards and various electronic
components.

He said he has no way of knowing the proper way to troubleshoot the
module to see if it is the problem.

Can anyone tell me anything that would help with this?

Should I just take it to a reputable repair place now instead of doing
more with my friends help?

He also checked all of the output points on the panel and found all
the outlets good. The breakers are also good and the switch for the
breakers tested good he said.

When the unit is running, he said it appears to be working fine
mechanically. The motor is running very well and he said the generator
is operating, but not outputting from the plug on the panel side of
the module in question.

Thank you for any help you may be able to give.

modules fail and are expensive, at least a few years ago when mine
failed twice.

my best friend a electrical engineer tossed the module and added a
heavy duty switch. start generator normally, once its running stable
with no power out you push button, it excites generator, like a start
switch. you only hold it a very short time or you will burn out the
start windings. has worked fine since.

modules must be a big profit item for generac no drawings or board
parts availble, one big secret. $$$$

Thank you very much for your reply. I have a couple more questions for
you if you would be so kind as to inform me:

Can you tell me exactly how to have the switch made? I have a friend
who is an electronics tech, and he can make it and install it if he
knew what to do. If a schematic of the installation is available from
your friend, I would be in your debt. I could post a disposable email
address for you to send it to.

Secondly, how much did the module cost that you replaced and how much
labor did they charge you. I have to get this thing working. I live in
the heart of hurricane areas in Florida. Hehe, the fishing is great.

Again, thank you very much for your time and information.