Roy

Default Freon bottle air tank?

I have cut many a freon tank apart and all only had a typical valve
for open and close. No checks or any thing else that would prevent one
way passage of contents.When they serviced my old AC unit they used a
partially filled freon container they had to put the old freon in, as
they had to repair a slight leak. A used propane tanak IMHO would be
a safer container to utilize for a portable air storage tank. They
even have a standoff ring on the base to keep it from getting dinged
and scuffed etc, and not those pressed out dimples. A propane tank is
meant for reuse, where a freon container for the most part is made to
last only so long as its disposable. Should easily be able to get an
old style propane cylinder, and the valves are not all that hard to
get out.

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 14:06:53 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

===Jeff Wisnia writes:
===
=== I just sprang a whole buck at a flea market for a brand new "converter"
=== intended to let you use a "disposable" 30 lb freon tank as a portable
=== air tank. The gadget's got a schrader valve filling inlet, a dial
=== pressure gage, some kind of blowoff valve, a shutoff valve, and a few
=== feet of hose with a tire valve chuck on its end.
===
===Refrigerant tanks only "exhale", they have a mechanism inside (check
===valve?) to prevent exactly this sort of unsafe adaptation. Just how does
===the kit defeat that?
===
===There are refrigerant recovery tanks meant to both inhale and exhale. They
===are considerably heavier construction than the disposable supply tanks.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.