Jack Cammell

Default Freon bottle air tank?

Hi Guys,
Here in New Zealand we have a domestic "Soda" maker. It has small CO2 bottles
about10inches X 2inches enough gas to fill your tire and very only takes uo a
small space. I would refill the tire with Air when convenient.
Jack

Roy wrote:

I just have a queasy feeling on using freon tanks as portable air
storage containers. They are pretty thin to begin with, and after some
use will get moisture inside. Not usually a problem with the original
contents Freon, but its going to start to rust, and god only knows
when its going to let go. At one time you used to see those kits for
sale just about every where, now you don't. I wonder if there is some
kind of paranoia concerning these kits and liability with the
manufacturer........I really have never checked out how thick a
regular portable air tank is, but now you have myucuriosity sparked.

I know when I worked we used to be always making portable air tanks
for folks there, then after one or two had problems with tanks
splitting etc they just sort of stopped asking to get one made. We
never saw the tanks the manifold gauge and fill adapter etc was
installed on, so there was no real way toknow what someone else deemed
as being good.

Just my 2 cents worth.

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 12:13:53 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

===I just sprang a whole buck at a flea market for a brand new "converter"
===intended to let you use a "disposable" 30 lb freon tank as a portable
===air tank. The gadget's got a schrader valve filling inlet, a dial
===pressure gage, some kind of blowoff valve, a shutoff valve, and a few
===feet of hose with a tire valve chuck on its end.
===
===I've had a near empty R22 can sitting around from back when I added AC
===to our last home's hot air heating system. That was when you could
===legally DIY that kind of stuff, and could even buy precharged equipment
===and tubing to let you get a system up and running without a vacuum pump.
===The original heating installers had left us a plenum where I could stick
===an "A coil", so the whole job was a snap.
===
===I looked up the pressure temperature curve for R22 and it gets up to
===around 150 psi at 80F, so I figure the tank ought to be safe for holding
===125 psi air for occasional tire filling and blowout jobs I don't want to
===drag my little home compressor over to.
===
===Anything I'm missing here or should worry about?
===
===Thanks guys,
===
===Jeff