Jeff Wisnia

Default Freon bottle air tank?

I just sprang a whole buck at a flea market for a brand new "converter"
intended to let you use a "disposable" 30 lb freon tank as a portable
air tank. The gadget's got a schrader valve filling inlet, a dial
pressure gage, some kind of blowoff valve, a shutoff valve, and a few
feet of hose with a tire valve chuck on its end.

I've had a near empty R22 can sitting around from back when I added AC
to our last home's hot air heating system. That was when you could
legally DIY that kind of stuff, and could even buy precharged equipment
and tubing to let you get a system up and running without a vacuum pump.
The original heating installers had left us a plenum where I could stick
an "A coil", so the whole job was a snap.

I looked up the pressure temperature curve for R22 and it gets up to
around 150 psi at 80F, so I figure the tank ought to be safe for holding
125 psi air for occasional tire filling and blowout jobs I don't want to
drag my little home compressor over to.

Anything I'm missing here or should worry about?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)