Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Leaky main water valve

On 21 Mar 2007 12:38:03 -0700, "Big_Jake"
wrote:

On Mar 21, 10:45 am, Speedy Jim wrote:
wrote:
I've recently found that the main water valve before the meter is
leaking, perhaps 1gal/week. I can see where the water is dripping out
from the valve where the handle goes into the fitting.

Our line comes up through a basement/closet floor -grounding wire -
valve - meter - valve - grounding wire - house. It appears to be
flare fitted copper.

I've been feeling brave as I just rerouted plumbing for our new
kitchen, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I'm
wondering also if it was caused by something I did, perhaps tightening
down old gaskets too much.

Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated!

It may be a Globe valve like this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globe_valve
or a similar Gate valve.

Either has the packing nut where the stem enters
the valve body. If tightening the nut doesn't
stop the leak, the packing inside will need renewal.
It is *possible* to repack it just by closing the valve,
then draining system water from the outlet side.
Then unscrew the nut to wrap new packing around stem.

But things can and do go wrong. Is they do, there is
no Plan "B" since the water service can only then be
shut off at the curb and this curb stop may not
be accessible to you.

Will the utility assist on this leaking valve?
Nobody on here can tell you with any certainty.

Jim

Hey guys -

Just to chime in - In my area, the homeowner is responsible for the
line up the the street side of the curb stop. Also, our meters are
installed with a rubber washer on each side of the meter in the "meter
couplings" and those are prone to failure, or could get squashed and
ruined. From what the OP said I would agree with Jim, that you could
cure it by adjusting the packing nut.

JK

Just this past weekend I was setting out the trash and heard a hissing
at the meter box in the sidewalk. Opened it up a saw a leak, not
large. Being the weekend I called the emergency number for our utility
company. About three hours past and the repair woman replaced the
rubber washer on the street side of the meter. Funny part was I had
confused my meter with the house next door (close together), so the
leak was really the neighbor's.

--
Oren