Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W. Steve W. is offline

Default Metal Spinning Tools - What and How To Make?

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Mar 19, 2:51 pm, David Billington
wrote:
TMT haven't we been through this before?. Anyway best resource I know of
ishttp://metalspinningworkshop.com/board/board1/index.php. I think
that the form of the tool you make comes with experience. If you ask on
the board and explain or show what you want to make often suggestions
are made as to the tool form you might require for various parts of the
process.

Also Terry who runs the BB does a couple of quite good DVDs on spinning
and has more on the way.

Hope that helps.

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Slowly...ever so slowly...I am getting a metal spinning setup
together.
One of the areas that I need to accumulate more is for the metal
spinning tools that one uses with the lathe.
Any suggestions, links and PICTURES of how to make metal spinning
tools?
Thanks
TMT- Hide quoted text -

Yes I did ask about it in an earlier post but the responses were
limited.

Try Googling for the information I am asking about....you will find
very little on line.

Therefore the second request.

Thanks for the link.

TMT

Thats because metal spinning isn't all that hard to do. The main tools
are the lathe and understanding how the metal moves while your working
it. What you use to move the metal depends a LOT on how thick the metal
is your working with. Thinner sheet stock can be worked with a simple
stick of hard maple with a round nose on the working end. Thicker may
need something like a roller tool. I use a roller made out of a piece of
bar stock with a milled slot for a standard roller bearing for thicker
metals.

--
Steve W.