Posted to rec.woodworking
Lowell Holmes Lowell Holmes is offline

Default How to set up a hand plane

"Neillarson" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have been a woodworker for a while but never got into the hand tool
craze, probably because I am a technologist by profession.

snip

the wood and square to it, then gave it a good nudge, it would be fine
(didn't work very well). I would appreciate any helpful suggestions.

Neil Larson

You got a lot of s.a. answers, but in case yours is a serious question,
start out with the lightest cut you can with a thin edge of wood in the
middle of the plane iron. The wood I use will be 1/4" to 1/2" thick.

Next take a shaving on the left side of the iron, then the right side of the
iron. Adjust the lateral lever until the shavings at the middle and both
sides are the same thickness. The iron will then be square with the bottom.
If your shavings are not translucent, they are too thick.
If you use the Veritas MKII honing jig with the cambered roller, you can
sharpen the iron with a slight camber in it and eliminate the tracks left by
the edges of the iron.

I learned this technique at the Lie-Nielsen booth at a woodworking show.

If you have the chance to fondle one of their 4 1/2 planes, do so.

Happy planing!