Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sump pump drain hose frozen.. what to do?

On Mar 14, 7:32�am, "DAC" wrote:
On Mar 14, 7:05 am, "jd" wrote:

Hi folks,
the drain pipe for our sump pump is buried *but the end pokes out of a hills
ide into open air. every year, it gets an ice plug in it, so the sump pump
can't pump....

The water levels start rising before the ground thaws, so the basement
always gets water in it i nthe spring. As son as the pump pipe thaws, it can
pump out the water, so everything is OK..
any ideas on how to keep the drain pipe from freezing?

thanks

The difficulty depends on how your discharge is set up.

I had a house that had an under slab discharge, didn't know where it
to...still don't. *Every year in the late winter it would freeze up
and it seemed to get worse after my neighbor replaced his driveway
with a new one 6" lower than the original.

Fortunately when they plumbed the sump system, they added a discharge
to the exterior of the house going through the sill. *When everything
is working right, it's plugged and not used. *When the "normal"
discharge freezes, uncap and put *2-10 foot pieces of rigid plastic
1-1/4 pipe on it and wait for the ground to thaw. *The system worked
well for years.

Banty is right with his suggestion to fix...but sometimes it isn't
worth the gain.

DAC

T the output line, run a new line well above elevation of existing
line say out wall.

when primary line freezes backup line will still provide a outlet for
water.