Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Location of Well Pressure Tank

On Mar 12, 9:49 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:21:38 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

snip

I was under the impression that for a bladerless tank, you
were supposed to have a pump that pumps air into the tank
at the same time as it pumps water into it. That, of course,
only works with a surface-mounted pump.

I had heard that too, but for a submercible pump I dont believe this
is possible. That bladderless tank is the same tank that was on this
system in the old barn. They are tall tanks, so all I can assume is
that they develop an air cushion in the top, until they waterlog. I
did some inquiring about an AVC (air volume control), but again, they
dont seem to be used on submercible pumps, and being a 500ft deep
well, I cant use a shallow well pump. It seems they used these
non-bladder tanks for many years.

There are two types of AVC, a 'snifter valve' that injects a bit of
air every time the pump starts and a float valve that installs in the
side of the tank. Can't say as I understand the operation of either
one. I can see no reason that the float type at least wouldn't work.
Our community well had both and we still had problems maintaining an
air cushion.

snilp

I was thinking the same, except I never planned to fill the cistern
again. The problem I see is that if I remove the pipes in the
cistern, I would have to run wires underground all the way to the
house for the pressure switch, and thats a long way to dig at 150 feet
or so. I *think* I could remove the tank in the cistern, and just
hook the pressure switch to the pipes down there.

snip

The pressure switch does not have to be co-located with the pressure
tank. Having 150 ft from the tank _might_ cause a small lag in
turning the pump off when it reaches the cut-off but that would not be
a problem.

Harry K