Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Sweet smell in downstairs bathroom?

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 19:21:04 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Norminn" wrote in message
hlink.net...
HomeDecoy wrote:

In my house, the downstairs bathroom has recently been repainted and
now that it's being used, we've noticed that is has a sweet smell in
there, almost like cataloupes. There is no window in the bathroom,
it's got a sink and a toilet and I can not see any mold or water
damage that would indicate it was a water caused smell. I did notice
the smell while painting but thought it was due to the old nasty
wallpaper. (I peeled it off, put textured drywall compound up and
painted with bathroom paint) This bathroom is right beside the laundry
room but the laundry room doesn't smell at all.

Does anyone know what would cause this, if it's something I should
worry about and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help

Latex or oil? If it is the paint, it could take a couple of weeks for the
paint to completely cure. Odor from paint might linger longer if the room
is kept closed or not much air circ. Not sewer gas, right? Didn't leave
an air freshener in a drawer, right?

Or...
- Leaking bottle of cough syrup or bubble bath hidden in the back of a
cabinet since 1979
- Package of those dumb little scented soaps that people give as gifts when
they really didn't want to give a gift

I'd bet on the paint, though. Modern paints have some really
unexpected smells, and the sherman-williams stuff that I've been
using on furniture recently does smell kind of fruity.