Posted to alt.home.repair
Special Ed Special Ed is offline

Default Hot water heater: running out of water too fast

"mdo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just bought a house, and the hot water tank was only 6 months old
when I moved in. We've only been in it a week, but it seems that if
two people have normal (5 - 10 min) showers in the morning, the hot
water runs out by the time the second person is half done. I know
noting about a hot water heater except how to change the temperature
setting, so am a little lost here. Does anyone have a comment or
suggestion about what may be going on, or what I can do before I have
to call a plumber? Thanks in advance.

Hold off on the plumber!!

Just raise the thermostat a few degrees. Is the heater gas or electric? They
have different kinds of thermostats. Some are calibrated in degrees--
others just something like cooler/warmer.

Turn it up a little and try it for 2-3 days to see if that helps. If it gets
a little better but still not enough hot water, turn it up a bit more.