Posted to alt.home.repair
gpsman gpsman is offline

Default Solder vs. epoxy for copper pipes?

On Mar 4, 10:05 pm, "PE" wrote: brevity snip
Hi all: I recently noticed that Home Depot is selling a copper bonding
expoxy product in the plumbing dept. that's billed as being as good as
solder. Would appreciate any informed opinions regarding
whether or not the product referenced above might be an acceptable
substitute for solder in the circumstances mentioned.

I'd think so, without any personal experience. But you'll never get
it apart again if it leaks.

You can always put some sheet metal and a wet rag, if it will fit,
between the joint and any flammable material. You can get a baking
pan at Goodwill for a quarter and cut it to fit. There's really
nothing wrong with scorching the snot out of surrounding wood,
sometimes it can't be avoided.

Bust into your shower connection and you'll likely find burnt wood.
It ain't no biggie. Just be careful.
-----

- gpsman