Posted to uk.d-i-y
steve573 steve573 is offline

Default Advice wanted on roofing after chimney stack removal.

Hi All,
I've just had my gable end chimney stack removed from my 1870's house
by a roofing firm. I made a few enquiries beforehand and was told the
same method of doing it by everybody I spoke to, essentially remove
stack brick by brick to below (slate) roof level, put battens across
gap left by chimney, attach new slates to the battens then attach
ridge tiles and done. And thats exactly what happened and everything
seems fine and all the new slates line up and everything looks
perfect. Only problem is I am a born worrier, and whats bothering me
is the weight of two ridge tiles on the battens which are presumably
only designed to take the weight of the slates. All the other ridge
tiles are supported by a bloody great ridge beam but that ended by the
chimney stack so as its gone there is a gap about 26 inches where the
chimney used to be where two ridge tiles are only supported by the
slates sitting on the, what look like, small battens. I have this
vision of the battens giving out and the two ridge tiles ended up in
the loft.
I do realise the ridge tiles are pointed to the slates and to the
ridge tiles besides them and theres only 2 of them like this and so I
am probably typing this for nothing but could I please just hear that
from others to put my mind at rest or alternatively do I need to sure
anything up?
Thanks for any advice given,
Steve.