Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop Dave Fawthrop is offline

Default Shredding/chipping leylandii

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:26:04 -0000, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

|!Having grubbed out my hedge, I now have a huge pile of branches to deal
|!with, probably about 3 skip loads.
|!
|!Next problem is how to dispose of them.
|!
|!Options include:
|!
|!o Big bonfire. Pros- cheap. Cons - no good site handy for a bonfire.
|!
|!o Skips. Pros - easy. Cons - expensive.
|!
|!o Hire a chipper (& operator) and disposal of chips in garden. Pros -
|!plenty of space to use the chippings. Cons - man came out today and did
|!that sucking through the teeth bit and said that the bushieness & density of
|!the hedge would probably choke his machine.
|!
|!o Buy a garden shredder and shred what we can. Pros - relatively cheap and
|!I end up with a shredder at the end of it. Cons - won't handle the
|!thicker/bushier stuff and I might end up with a *broken* shredder at the end
|!of it.
|!
|!Any other suggestions? Would something like this
|!(http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7218400.htm) be up to the
|!job (assuming we avoid stuffing anything too thick down its throat)?

Our local tip (Domestic Refuse Site), FREE, has a place for green waste,
The would take a Leylandii no problem. Every so often the bring in a
*huge* shredder and haul everything away to compost
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org