Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Septic solution for cottage/cabin

On Feb 21, 12:46 pm, "Chris" wrote:There
is also a boiler for hot water.
Is a septic fosse a good solution if not having running water? Any
other solution?

Right now I use a 5 gal bucket fitted with a toilet seat. They sell
them at places like Cabela's camping supply. I keep a trash barrel
full of either sawdust or potting soil and cover promptly. This way
you can have the pooper indoors where it's warm. When I'ts full you
carry it out to your compost site where you keep it well coverd. The
must read book on this topic is found at this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Humanure-Handb...e=UTF8&s=books

I have hot showers at home but bathing can be done by filling a tank
like they use to feed horses. Pipe in water and heat it on the cook
stove. The tank can be stored elswhere when not in use. Smaller
bowls can be use for cleaning hands, face and privates. A sink can be
installed to just run out onto the ground or maybe a dry well.

Any truckstop gives free showers for truckers and they don't care if
you are a real trucker or not. Just show up with your duffel bag and
head for the shower. It's nice if you buy some gas. It is always a
private shower where you can lock the door behind. You can bring the
glock if worried.