Posted to sci.electronics.repair
clifto clifto is offline

Default APC Smart UPS shows overload with no load attached

Arfa Daily wrote:
"w9gb" wrote...
Typical failures of APC UPS -- in order of frequency
(based upon an APC refurbishment operation):

1. Battery
2. Charger circuit for battery
3. Inverter circuit from battery to outlets

I'm very interested in this. Are you directly involved with this
refurbishment operation, to the point of knowing these units well ? I have a
Smart-UPS 700.

http://lists.ssc.com/pipermail/linux...ry/020196.html

Someone gave me one a while back. I replaced the batteries with prime
units from a local alarm company. Recently a cat caused a shutdown of
power to the unit and it completely discharged. I restored power to it
and it seemed okay, but over 24 hours later (and naturally at 0-dark-30)
our natural-gas alarm went off. After the gas company cleared their
stuff, I figured out the vapor was coming from the SmartUPS 700, which
was pretty hot.

I unplugged it and took it out of service. I have a nice, new 1000VA
TrippLite from Costco and I feel much safer now.

--
"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day,
they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally.