Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default How deep to bury posts for fence?

On Feb 19, 10:53 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I am going to try to put up some wood fences 6' tall located in south
Florida.

I talked to one contractor and they told me they will need to dig the post
24" deep and pour concrete. Some told me 48" deep. Some said 24" deep at
intermediate posts but 48" deep at corners or gate posts. Any idea what is
a good depth?

There are three types of posts in a fence design. they a corner
posts, bracing posts, and line posts. Your design only uses corner
posts and line posts.

Corner posts are usually given different treatment than line posts.
Just sink the corner posts in concrete and leave the line posts with
plain soil or some kind of good draining material. 24 inches is good
enough for all of them. that way you can bury 8 foot posts two feet
deep. When fences fail it's almost never because the posts came out
of the ground.

The posts will be spaced 4' apart. The post will be dug XXX inches deep and
with concrete. Now regarding the standard dog eared pressure trested
privacy wood fence panels, they come in 6'x8' so they will have to be nailed
onto three posts. The panels have three horizontal pieces of wood. If I
nail them right onto the posts, the panel will "stick out" by the width of
the wood member. Should I notch the post a little so the horizontal member
would be mounted flushed?

Notching the post is unecessary but when it's your fence you can build
it any way you want. Although the panel will stick out it will look
just the same as any other fence since they are all built that way.
Spacing your posts at 4 feet is too much work. 8 feet is adequate
spacing between post.