Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flame-resistant protective mat for plumhing?

Lobster wrote:

For years I've had one of these - a woven fabric mat about 9" square
which I can place behind pipework which I'm soldering, to avoid
setting fire to the underlying fabric of the building or whatever.

SNIP

Or is there a different mats which I should buy to use in this way?
(I note that Screwfix's dearer mat is still described as a
'soldering mat' BTW.

I bought the cheap one from Toolstation and it lasted for one job - bloody
rubbish. It looks about the same as the Screwfix one.

The Monument one is an entirely different piece of kit, about 5 times as
thick and of much denser material. Looks like you could launch a cruise
missile from it with no problem.

I always use a wet cloth under the soldering mat as well.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman