Posted to alt.home.repair
Jethro Jethro is offline

Default HEATILATOR GNDC36 Fireplace - Need Help

On 9 Feb 2007 18:25:53 -0800, "
wrote:

Have you checked the venting to your direct vent fireplace? Since you
hadn't used it in a couple years, the vent and/or vent cap may be
blocked by debris, bird nests, etc., which would definitely cause an
oxygen problem and the fireplace going out when the glass is installed.

This is where I stand now.

I removed the imitation logs so I could watch the gas pilot and burner
more closely. It looked to me as if the pilot flames were being drawn
away by maybe a draft from the flue from the thermocouple &
thermopile, and by so doing caused the thermos to cool to the point
that the burner & pilot were shut off. This would seem to be a
reasonable 'cause & effect'. At least to me.

I placed a small piece of aluminum foil so as to shield the pilot
flame going to the thermocouple to in effect block this so-called
draft a little. It did the job nicely. All day yesterday, the
fireplace burned without a hitch. Turned it off - went to bed.

This AM, I fired it up, and again, the burner would not stay on, like
before. On the theory that the draft was involved, I opened the glass
panel on the front and lit the burner. It stayed lit, like it always
did, as long as I kept the glass open. Again, on the theory that
draft is involved, I let it burn for a few minutes to in effect heat
the flue - and then closed the glass. That was hours ago, and it is
still burning fine.

So, I wonder why this is happening now - whereas it never happen a few
years ago when I was last using the fireplace. Maybe the flue is
blocked a little by something. If it ever gets warm again, I or
someone younger (of which there are many) should get up on the roof
and open up the terminal cap for a look-see.

Thanks for your interest

Jethro