Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeffy3 Jeffy3 is offline

Default Ice From New Ice Maker Tastes Bad

Had a new refrigerator with built in ice maker installed last week,
along with a new copper water line.The ice really tastes terrible, and
has a musty smell to it. We do not have a filter attached. We never
had a filter on our old refrigerator and ice maker and smell in the
ice was never a problem.
I know you're supposed to throw out the first few "batches" of ice
from a new ice maker, but how do they define batches, the first few
whole trays of ice or just the first few groups of ice spit out? Is
it possible the smell will eventually stop? It's not from food
because we keep ice in an open bag that is left over from when we
didn't have the ice maker hooked up and that tastes fine.