Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Distance between Stairs and room above

Andrew wrote:
On 6 Feb, 12:55, wrote:
The distance between my stairs and the room above is very low - only
69" (1.75m). I am constantly hitting my head on it. I am trying to
increase this height by taking more space out of the room above the
stairs. What is the recommended distance between the stairs and the
room above it?

Thanks

Robert

Building Regulations Part K (http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/
br/BR_PDF_ADK_1998.pdf) defines this as 2m. Section 1.10 gives more
information. I have the same problem and am tackling it by replacing
the stairs (as part of a complete refurbishment) such that the stairs
start a bit later so giving more headroom. I was told by my BCO that I
could put in stairs that do not meet the regulations _provided_ that
for each requirement they are no worse than what was there before.

Andrew

Er...that depends..on the BCO. Some I have met will say that if it is a
reinstallation, not a repair, you must meet regulations.

In any case its a very sensible regulation..hitting heads and falling
down stairs kills more people than electrical shock.

The way I managed mine was by very careful planning and almost a spiral
stairwell in the building center. You can get away - all within regs -
with unbelievably steep stairs if they are not in straight runs. That
allowed me to use the full headroom into a 'half storey' and get my
stairs legit.