Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Bind Broken Eyeglass Metal Frames?

On Feb 1, 4:34 am, PaPaPeng wrote:
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:51:02 -0500, Rocinante

wrote:
The nose bridge in my frames broke. I tried silver solder to reconnect the
broken ends, but the solder would not stick to the metal; it would just
roll off. Any suggestions? (yah, I suppose I could tape them and look like
a typical nerd : )

Thanks,

I did a successful silver solder of my metal spec frame years ago
using an air-acetylene torch, borax flux and silver solder. The parts
to be joined have to be glowing red hot for the solder and flux to
flow. The enamel coating on the frame had to be scraped off first.
The adjoining enamel remaining on the frame was burned off by the
torch anyway but I think its still a good idea to remove the enamel
from the join surfaces anyway.

A quick google search yielded this:

http://www.framedoctors.com/

Don't know how well it works, never tried it. I always wound up
buying new ones.