Posted to uk.d-i-y
NoSpam NoSpam is offline

Default Clutch adjustment on Renault espace? Important omission.

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message
"NoSpam" wrote in message
The clutch pedal bite point is rather high (tired clutch I guess).

That is usually the sign of badly worn clutch centre plate friction
linings. If the clutch slips, with the car in top gear and the handbrake
firmly on; this will confirm it. If you definitely have a good handbrake,
this test should stall the engine. It may already be too late; as if the
centre plate is not renewed in good time, its lining rivets will score the
clutch pressure plate. Definitely, if the rivets are made of brass or
copper; and possibly, if they are made of aluminium.

I should have added that if you fail to replace your clutch centre plate in
good time, it will probably also score (damage) the flywheel surface (this
will require a service exchange, or new flywheel assembly)

Sylvain.

I thought there was an adjuster somewhere but it's hydraulic. Is there
some way to adjust the master cylinder linkage?

Generally speaking, hydraulic clutch linkages have no adjustment. A few
have an adjustment; but this carried out when the vehicle is new; and if
it hasn't been interfered with, can be ignored.

Sylvain.

Now there's a cheery thought! Fortunately there's no slippage at the
moment. The clutch was changed at 30k because of a manufacturing fault
and since then the car's done about 70k miles; it should be good for a
bit longer yet.
I thought I'd been told that there was an adjustment at the
pedal-cylinder linkage or at the slave cylinder, but all I can see is a
pedal stop which limits the height of the pedal.

Dave