Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE Sylvain VAN DER WALDE is offline

Default Clutch adjustment on Renault espace? Important omission.

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

"NoSpam" wrote in message
The clutch pedal bite point is rather high (tired clutch I guess).

That is usually the sign of badly worn clutch centre plate friction
linings. If the clutch slips, with the car in top gear and the handbrake
firmly on; this will confirm it. If you definitely have a good handbrake,
this test should stall the engine. It may already be too late; as if the
centre plate is not renewed in good time, its lining rivets will score the
clutch pressure plate. Definitely, if the rivets are made of brass or
copper; and possibly, if they are made of aluminium.

I should have added that if you fail to replace your clutch centre plate in
good time, it will probably also score (damage) the flywheel surface (this
will require a service exchange, or new flywheel assembly)

Sylvain.

I thought there was an adjuster somewhere but it's hydraulic. Is there
some way to adjust the master cylinder linkage?

Generally speaking, hydraulic clutch linkages have no adjustment. A few
have an adjustment; but this carried out when the vehicle is new; and if
it hasn't been interfered with, can be ignored.

Sylvain.

Dave