Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default New acrylic paint on concrete is bubbling

Mark K wrote:
Hi

I applied a new coat of acrylic paint on concrete a couple of days ago.

I etched the concrete with commercial etching solution and ensured it
was clean before applying the paint.

It is now bubbling in the heat of the day.

Is there any way to fix the bubbles? Should I puncture them?

Mark

I looked at some of the thread, and your replies. This is a deck or
patio? My guess, if the paint wasn't defective, is that you did not
allow sufficient time in dry weather for drying - 2 or 3 days min.
Concrete always has some moisture, which is why water based paint is
best. Some idea of the size of the job and how extensive the bubbling
is will help. Small bubbles can be poked with a pin - it allows
moisture to escape, the bubbles flatten, and if the paint film is
otherwise intact and secure they won't show as much. If there is
abrasion or if you pressure wash after, then, of course, the loose paint
would likely come off.

Another possibility is that the acid wasn't washed off thoroughly and
the reaction continued after you painted, forming gas under the paint
film.

If you need to pressure wash and start over, I can give you tips in how
to contain all the loose paint that comes off ) Hubby and I invented
a method when our condo (peeling very badly) was repainted several years
ago - the contractor was impressed )