Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default wood stove flue too hot?

On 15 Jan 2007 16:22:37 -0800, wrote:

Thanks everyone for the good information. I feel a lot better about my
stove now.

One more question...

In googling around the web for information on wood stoves, I read that
wood heat is notorious for sending excessive heat up the chimney.

Is there any sort of device available that you can insert into a
standard 7-inch stove pipe that will allow you to recover more heat
from the escaping exhaust? I would suspect that such an invention
would involve a fan. I can't seem to find anything like that on the
Internet.

Fire-places are decorations, not heat sources, but a wood stove
should capture anywhere from 50% to 70% of the heat content
of the wood, without even trying. I've seen systems that
CLAIM up to 85%, but I'm not sure I trust that.

The most common way to extract more heat from a woodstove
is to put it as far away from the chimney-stack as possible,
and run pipe overhead between the two.

If you really want to go nuts, you could clamp/glue
an aluminium or steel fin the length of the pipe.
And painting it black might help, if it's not already.