Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default wood stove flue too hot?

wrote:
I have a wood stove in my basement. I have a thermometer on the pipe
where it enters the chimney, and I keep it in the safe range.

After about 5 hours of burning, the chimney / flue gets extremely hot
about 12 inches over where the metal pipe goes in. It gets hot on all
sides, not just the side where the pipe goes in.

By "hot", I mean I can only hold my hand on it for a fraction of a
second.

I am pretty sure the chimney doesn't have a metal liner. I had a
chimney sweep guy clean it out in the fall, and he didn't say anything
about the liner not being up to the task of handling a wood stove. As
I understand it, wood allows a lot more heat to go up the chimney than
an oil furnace.

The previous owner used the stove regularly (I just got the house in
the summer).

So I guess my question is whether or not it is normal for a chinmey to
get this hot...?

Isn't it better that the heat goes into the room rather than up the chimney?