Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wood stove flue too hot?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a wood stove in my basement. I have a thermometer on the pipe
where it enters the chimney, and I keep it in the safe range.

After about 5 hours of burning, the chimney / flue gets extremely hot
about 12 inches over where the metal pipe goes in. It gets hot on all
sides, not just the side where the pipe goes in.

By "hot", I mean I can only hold my hand on it for a fraction of a
second.

So I guess my question is whether or not it is normal for a chinmey to
get this hot...?

What do you consider safe range? I usually run my stove so the cast iron
top is at least 400 degrees, and a couple of times a day, run it up to about
700F to keep it clean. The stove pipe is easily 400 at any given time.
That, IMO, is normal. What does your actually read on the thermometer?