Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill buffalobill is offline

Default Replacing a door alone - Spacing between door and jam

consider enlarging the opening to at least 36" for easier handicap
access and being able to full sized appliances and furniture for the
home. consider custom ordering a door with good weatherstripping or
magnetic gasket. remember door glass is required to be tempered glass
for safety; although expensive it lasts for years without hazing and
cleans with windex/ammonia to a sparkling clean glass view. price check
this item with your local auto glass place it usually is special
ordered for the size you need. acrylic/plexiglas/plastic alternatives
will generally become scratched or self-hazy depending on family/pet
use. lexan/polycarbonate with scratch resistant coating is an
unbreakable alternative, but requires special cleaning/polishing.
depending on door weight and wind speed, add a new fully adjustable
door closer.
trimming a door may create windy heat losses that are usually not
present with a factory made door with frame and weatherstripping.

New & Improved - N/F John wrote:
I want to put a new exterior door from my hall to an unheated enclosed
porch. I want to get a double pane glass, but I don't want to replace the
jam with an opening width of exactly 30 inches. The door's width on the
outside measures 29.75 inches and inside measures a little less than 30
inches. Thus, the door's edge is beveled. The existing door is 1 and 3/8's
inches thick. A new door would be 1.75 inches.

The door has to be narrower than the jam width. Should I have the door's
outside edge beveled like the old one or should I have the door trimmed on
both sides about a quarter of an inch total?