Posted to alt.home.repair
New & Improved - N/F John New & Improved - N/F John is offline

Default Replacing a door alone - Spacing between door and jam

I want to put a new exterior door from my hall to an unheated enclosed
porch. I want to get a double pane glass, but I don't want to replace the
jam with an opening width of exactly 30 inches. The door's width on the
outside measures 29.75 inches and inside measures a little less than 30
inches. Thus, the door's edge is beveled. The existing door is 1 and 3/8's
inches thick. A new door would be 1.75 inches.

The door has to be narrower than the jam width. Should I have the door's
outside edge beveled like the old one or should I have the door trimmed on
both sides about a quarter of an inch total?