Posted to alt.home.repair
lp13-30 lp13-30 is offline

Default Flat roof replaced with pitched

I personally think going that route is a very good idea. As another
poster said, the original roof most likely will not have to be removed,
and shouldn't be. Trusses would probably be the way to go. The weight
should not be an issue. I honestly do not know if a roofer would
typically handle that end of the job, but it would cost nothing to ask
around. You may end up having to get a different contractor to do the
actual construction, but if you can find a roofing contractor that will
do the entire job it would probably be better-- if any problems do
arise, you will not have 2 outfits blaming each other. Besides the main
objective, stopping the leaks, you will have the possibility of gaining
some storage space as Hallerb mentioned, a way to run ductwork and
wiring if the need arises, but also, if you are anywhere in the South,
your cooling bills should drop drastically if the new roof space is
properly ventilated. Larry