Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] cubbytime@gmail.com is offline

Default Flat roof replaced with pitched

Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm not thinking of any extreme roof pitch, just something that fit's
in well with the neighborhood.

On Jan 10, 5:54 pm, Goedjn wrote:
On 10 Jan 2007 15:17:35 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

I'm going to replace my flat roof with a pitched roof & I'm guessing
that like most, want to keep the cost down yet quality high.

I've been searching the web for details but there doesn't appear to be
much information available. My initial plan is to rip off the existing
tar & gravel, leave the plywood & then work with a framing contractor
to place attic trusses. Then get a roofing contractor for final work
(underlayerment, flashing, shingles, gutters, etc).

Has anyone done something similar? My concern is the added weight on
the existing foundation & structure...

Any thoughts & experiences you can share would be very helpful. Also,
I've read several discussions about resurfacing a flat roof with
rubber/foam/etc. and I'm not pursuing this route for a number of
reasons...so I'd like to just discuss the peaked roof please.How high a pitch are you planning on going with? The chances are

fairly good that the structure doesn't need the weight
taken off, since 1 story studwalls are built the same way 2nd and
3rd story studwalls are... the only reason to mess with the old
roof at all is to make a way to attach the new roof to the old
building.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -