Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default plywood, weight capacity

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:15:36 -0800, "AKA gray asphalt"
wrote:

How can I figure the amount of weight a piece of plywood, probably 3/4 or 1"
... how much weight it would hold? It would be 24" x 60" and supported on
both 24" sides and one of the 60" sides? The weight would be evenly
distributed but there wouldn't be any support in the center except along
that one side. I could use butcher board or block, whatever it is.
Thanks ...

You search on the keywords "plywood span table"
and get something like this:

http://www.greatnorthernlumber.com/simpplyr2.html

Lots. I have to say, the
arrangement you describe seems destined to
sag on the loose edge, and dump whatever
you're trying to hold up. You're probably
better off fastening the crap out of the two
ends, and leaving off the supports on the
long side, so it can sag evenly. I doubt
you'll be able to make the plywood fail
in that configuration before whatever you're
attaching it to comes loose.

What are you trying to do?

--Goedjn