Posted to alt.home.repair
avid_hiker avid_hiker is offline

Default 275 gallon oil tank - how long should it be between fill-ups?

Joe wrote:
I'm just wondering if every two months is about
standard. The last thing I want to do is run out and have my pipes
freeze.

Depends on how well your home maintains the heat...insulation, etc. My
past home in Upstate, NY which was a cape about 50 years old, I was
filling up every month in the winter which got to be pretty expensive.
With The home I have now, a ranch around 25 years old, I am filling up
about 4 times/year.....which is quite a difference. The home now
maintains the heat VERY well.

Does your cape have insulation on the attic floor? If planning on
stsying there for a long while, might want to think sealing your home
nice and tight. Probably pay for itself with that amount of fuel.