Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] adrian@cam.cornell.edu is offline

Default New chisels! Storage case ideas?

charlie b wrote:
I'm guessing these are User chisels and not Decorations.

Oh yes, absolutely.

Use some of them, in conjunction with a saw, to make
some tool racks, finger joints or dovetails for the joints,
a dado or sliding dovetails and a little forstner bit drilling
and you'll have custom chisel racks that can either go
in a wall cabinet door or inside a box.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...oolRacks1.html

There are some nice pictures there of different racks, some of which
would work with horizontal storage. (Unless I rethink and rearrange
considerably, I don't have room for vertical storage.)

If you do a two door wall hanging cabinet for the rest
of your stuff - make the doors deep enough to store
tools in them. AND - if the doors have the same
dimensions you can move the racks around - OR take
a rack to your workbench, use them, then put them
all back in the cabinet. Think "modular" - then you
can rearrange things as you go.

Do you have any ideas about how to be modular on a single tool basis
rather than on a set by set basis? I mean, if I build a rack that
holds my current collection then if I someday get a 3/4" chisel I'd
like to be able to put it between the 1" chisel and the 1/2" chisel.
That might require that other chisels move over to make room. And
adding the new tool requires working on the already assembled rack
which might be tricky.

It also seems like accomodating the range from 5" long chisels to 12"
long chisels with racks of this sort is tricky. (Magnets to the
rescue?)