Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Short Circuit - Caused by nail

Bob wrote:
Yes, they were removed and still no go... from what I have been
reading, if the damage to the wires have already been done, removing
them won't help.

Only if you managed to break the insulation on two conductors and leave
them touching after the offending nail was pulled. Possible, not real
probable although more likely w/ stranded than solid wire, though.

I'd question the likelihood of the problem being that though, because
unless you used a really long nail or the wiring was improperly
installed too near one wall or the other, you should not have been able
to reach hidden cable.

Now, if you saw/heard the breaker trip the instant you drove one of
them, that would be a good indication. If, otoh, it happened sometime
removed, even though after the actual nail-driving party, I'd suspect
something else.