Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Short Circuit - Caused by nail

Bob wrote:
Hi;

I have a short circuit in part of my house - the breaker immediately
trips when I try to reset it and it's not the breaker because I tried
switching the wires with another good breaker and it makes it trip as
well.

I checked all the outlets and light switches in the two affected
rooms, everything looked ok, unplugged one at a time and tested the
breaker, no go.

I think I know what the problem is though, I put in two nails into the
wall to hang up some pictures recently... I'm going to call an
electrician, but wanted some insights as to what he can do to fix the
problem and how big a job will it be? Does he have to tear down all
the drywall, etc?? What would be a reasonable quote?

Any input appreciated.

Have you tried removing the nails?