Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building or repairing a fence within a hedge

Richard wrote:
Situation:

Beech hedge some 12' high and about 6' deep has the remains of a 3'
closeboarded fence about a foot away from its centre line, i.e. the
fence was built along my boundary and the beech hedge planted close to
the fence on my side of the boundary. Fence has now come to the end
of its life and I wish to replace it - the collapsing fence is
revealing the bald base of the hedge and allowing easy access for
animals, particularly dogs. The hedge has also suffered from poor
maintenance and has grown out quite a bit - hence its depth.

I do not wish to cause tremendous damage to the hedge or do any
radical pruning. Can I use metal post anchors such as Metpost to fix
6' fence posts along the line of the previous fence at maybe 4'
intervals,

Why 4'? Standard spacing for 6' fence posts & panels is 6' - more with
feather edge & arris rail. Bear in mind that you are bound to encounter
tree roots so the fewer posts the better. Metposts are probably the best
fixing in this case, but bear in mind they can twist & go in off level if
they hit a root.

With a 3' fence you could probably go for 10' between posts using 2 arris
rails & galv brackets.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman