Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Richard is offline

Default Building or repairing a fence within a hedge

Situation:

Beech hedge some 12' high and about 6' deep has the remains of a 3'
closeboarded fence about a foot away from its centre line, i.e. the
fence was built along my boundary and the beech hedge planted close to
the fence on my side of the boundary. Fence has now come to the end of
its life and I wish to replace it - the collapsing fence is revealing
the bald base of the hedge and allowing easy access for animals,
particularly dogs. The hedge has also suffered from poor maintenance
and has grown out quite a bit - hence its depth.

I do not wish to cause tremendous damage to the hedge or do any radical
pruning. Can I use metal post anchors such as Metpost to fix 6' fence
posts along the line of the previous fence at maybe 4' intervals,
perhaps with a top rail between each post to prevent swaying and a stay
through the hedge at say 45 deg down from each post to stake under the
hedge on my side of the boundary. Then build the fence up with
horizontal boards as far as I can and wherever I can.

Is this a crazy solution? Can anyone suggest anything better?

BTW the far side of the hedge faces open woodland - not another garden.

TIA

Richard