Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default boiler ignition problem

I am having an intermittent problem with the boiler for my hot water
heating system. The boiler is a Peerless, uses natural gas. The
ignitor control is a White-Rodgers 50E47-150. What happens is I
notice the house is kind of cold, see that the temperature is well
below what the thermostat is set to, and go down to look. The
circulating pump is running but the boiler is cold. The red light is
flashing on the ignition control module. According to the
troubleshooting guide for the control unit, this indicates the fault is
likely outside the module itself. However, turning off power to the
system and turning it back on again makes it restart and then it works
fine for a while (like a couple days). When the system fails, I don't
know whether it is because of a failed start or it is shutting down
prematurely while running, although it always starts OK after the power
off/on.

I am thinking that the ignitor must be OK since it works whenever I am
watching, and it would either work or not work at all. Perhaps the
flame sensor is not consistent? Problem with the gas valve? Any
suggestions welcome as to things to test or guesses as to what the
problem most likely is. Thanks, -- H