Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Delta 14" band saw dust collection

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 01:52:07 GMT, "Max"
wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 17:37:15 GMT, "Max"
wrote:

I searched Google for some info on dust collection for my saw. Not much
luck.
Anyone know of a better set up than the factory small port?

Max

What model? Enclosed stand or open? Older domestic model or newer
imported?

Frank

Wow. Didn't realize there was that much difference in the 14" model(s).
I've had it for about fifteen years; I guess it's a little older.
Closed stand. I'm not in the shop or I would look to see which model it is.

Max

Best dust collection for an enclosed stand (at least as tested best
prior to introduction) is the method used for the current Delta
domestic unit such as the X5. It uses a cuttout in the bottom of the
lower guard that is over a cuttout in the stand with a chute that
angles to the back of the stand.

After seeing the test results (vs. all the other methods in use at the
time) I modified my older 14" enclosed stand model in the same manner.
Not easy, but can be done with some metal cutting equipment to make
the cuttouts and some sheet metal to form the duct and a little caulk
to seal it off. You also have to remove the inadequate dust collector
under the guard below the table and seal that hole off.

If you go to a dealer who stocks that unit you can see how it is
configured then copy it.

Frank.