Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Coal chute cover

"Mike the Unimaginative" wrote in message
.. .
"Mary Fisher" writed in
t:

It's a strange place for a coal chute - in a pavement! They've always
been in the wall (i.e. vertical) in the houses I've live in which had
coal cellars.

Where I grew up in North London, they were either immediately in front of
the front door, or in the pavement, in line with the front door. (And they
were still, by and large, in use!)

I've never lived in north London :-)

In Yorkshire, where coal was very much part of our lives in many ways, they
were in the house wall. Come to think of it, cellars were under the house
only, they didn't extend under the pavement.

I learn something new every day :-)

Mary