Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Coal chute cover

On 11 Dec 2006 09:39:01 -0800 someone who may be "Martin Pentreath"
wrote this:-

I would not recommend this. The holes in the coal hole cover are most
likely providing vital ventilation to the cellar, and blocking them up
will probably cause it to get far damper than a few drops of rain every
now and then.

It will do if alternative ventilation is not provided. However
suitable ventilation can be provided, the hole closed off (leave the
grille and use translucent material for some light) and the cellar
then becomes a useful addition to the house, though perhaps with a
low ceiling. As well as storage this area can be equipped for things
like laundry, though a pumping unit is usually necessary to deal
with waste water.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh