Posted to alt.home.repair
# Fred # # Fred # is offline

Default Garage Door Opener: Chain vs. Belt?

"Sue" wrote in message
. ..
Any opinions on which is better, a chain or belt driven garage door
opener?
I understand the belt driven are quieter, but are they better?
Thanks!

I have 5 double and one single garage doors and in the process of converting
all to belt drives. I had chain drives before and was just a constant PIA
for adjustment - never again. The screw drives were pretty good and
reliable. My first belt drive lasted about 15 years (broken belt) but my new
belt drives have a life time warranty on the belts. I have a belt drive with
battery backup in case of a power outage. Yes, its too quiet. My 1/2hp screw
seems to be a little stronger than my 1/2hp belt drive but if you have a
balanced door it doesn't matter too much. Belt drive usually mean
top-of-the-line and with that there are more options (bells and whistles) in
flexibility, controls and security. Chain drive is at the low end.