Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling Ian Stirling is offline

Default Moisture absorbing calcium chloride crystals

D.M. Procida wrote:
Julian wrote:

Not really - far too complicated! The crystals absorb moisture until they
start to dissolve, the liquid thus produced is also hydroscopic and
continues to absorb water until the crystals have all dissolved. After that
the liquid still absorbs further moisture, but with reducing affectivity as
the concentration of calcium chloride reduces.

So I could leave it longer to absorb moisture, until all the solid has
disappeared? Would I be better off pouring the liquid or not?

Leave it.
What may make more difference is to take some packing tape, and go over
the door edge insides, so that you have half on the door, half off the door.
Then fold over the exposed edge of tape, so you have a draughtproofing
seal.
This may give some hope of the dehumidifier thing working, though it'd
really need a vapour barrier to do any good at all.

Does it actually reduce dampness at all?