Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default State Farm Insurance vs knob & tube wiring

RBM wrote:
I contacted a State Farm Insurance agent today to find out how that
company deals with homes that have K&T wiring. The replies they gave
me were exactly as I would have expected. Unfortunately, they were
not willing to give me the specific documents they read to me
regarding this issue. The essence of the document is that they want
to know the percentage of K&T wiring in the house, the condition of
the K&T, and if it is adequate for the loads that are on the wiring.
There are notes indicating that they want certified electrical
inspectors or licensed electricians to make this determination,
depending upon the percentage of K&T in the building. Clearly they
have an issue with K&T , and the issue is primarily its age. They
take a number of factors in to determine if they will insure a house
with this type of wiring, but there is NO blanket denial due to K&T

What do you want? That wiring is very old, but that in itself does not
mean not safe. It was put in when codes were a lot weaker and when demands
on wiring was far less than today. What they are asking for is exactly what
any homeowner, perspective buyer or resident should want to know. Sounds
like they got it right.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit