Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mike vore mike vore is offline

Default Delta lathe problem

Bill wrote:
I am a fair to average wood worker, but fairly new at turning. I picked up a
used Delta 46-700.

It appears to have a runout problem that gets worse with weight on the
spindle. I bought a new Barracuda Chuck and it really wobbles.

Is this a bearing problem? What is this going to cost to fix?

Possibly, but first check that both the chuck and the flat contact surface on
the spindle are both clean. Any bit of dirt there will make the chuck appear
to wobble. Also try with a faceplate. I once bought a Teflon (?) washer to
use there, but any plastic will not be absolutely flat with parallel sides.
Even washers from the hardware store may not be absolutely flat.

--
Mike Vore
http://www.OhMyWoodness.com