Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS KLS is offline

Default how deep to bury conduit?

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 03:05:48 GMT, "Tomes" wrote:

"KLS" wrote in message
I did finally get an answer from my city building code dept. For
circuits up to 20 amps, the conduit must be buried 12" deep. For more
amperage than 20, the conduit must be buried at least 18" deep. Also,
a GFI must be installed on the circuit. This is in western New York.

One thing that I did when I buried an outside line some time ago (and it was
18 inches down here in NJ with an electric and a cable line [cable while I
was at it]) was to put a pressure treated 1x4 on top of the wires so that if
anyone ever dug down they would hit the wood instead of cutting through the
wire. I also laid the wire on a few inches of sand down there for drainage.
This all might have been required (it was about 15 years ago...).

Great suggestion, and I may yet take it even though I plan to run the
cable through the grey PVC pipe. On the other hand, if I'm spending
all that money on the pipe, getting enough 1x4 pt wood for this job
(30 ft worth) might be an unnecessary expense.