Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Water heater pop off valve issue

Ok I grasp what the pressure tank does and it makes perfect sense. I can see
how this would solve my problem. I also understand why codes would have
check valves. I do not know if my house has one or not. What I do not
understand is why everything has worked just fine for 9 years and now all of
the sudden I am going to need an expansion tank. My HWH sits right by the
garage entrance to my house and the drain dumps water on my garage floor if
it dumps water. I walk right by this every time I come in my house so I
would have noticed if this had happened before but it hasn't. So why has
thing work just fine up till now without an expansion tank?
Joe
wrote in message
ups.com...

Joe wrote:
I have a regulator coming into the house which I replaced today.

Why would I need an expansion tank now when there has not been one for
the
last 9 years I have owned this house and it has not been a problem up
till
now? What has changed?
Joe

some areas require anti siphon valves or check valves when plumbing is
worked on or homes sold.

say you have a garden hose in a swimming pool filling it.

the water goes off, suction will pull water from your pool, it might be
yuk dirty and flow to your unsuspecting neighbors.

so a check valve is now required at home sale time.

this makes the plumbing in your home a sealed system. when you hot
water tank heats water the pressure increases sometimes dramatically
and the valve opens.

a pressure tank absorbs the change in pressure